Happy Hump Day! We’ve officially completed half of our week! I don’t know what you all have planned for this week or this weekend but I’m just happy we are halfway there! I guess if I don’t really know what I’m so excited about then why countdown the days left to go? I’m not sure that I can answer that, BUT I guess that’s a good thing and I don’t have anything super important to get to! I like weekends like that, ones that just kind of organically happen.
I think once it is time for me to sit down and meal plan, I think this chicken and broccoli alfredo will be on list, even though I just made it! Each time I meal plan I tend to include broccoli somewhere on my list for my breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Broccoli still tends to find its way into my shopping cart (and my mouth) even when I didn’t plan on it and I always get so excited! I ate this pasta for a couple of days and made even more broccoli after that. I had no shame today and ate it with salmon for breakfast and leftover wings for lunch. Call me crazy but I love a good veggie!
What I love about this chicken and broccoli alfredo recipe is that it had a great texture. I thought it would go great with penne but feel free to use another noodle if you prefer! The penne noodles are what I had on hand. I also loved the texture and creaminess of the mozzarella cheese, milk, and heavy cream. It’s a dairy-lovers dream!
I’ll bring the chicken and broccoli alfredo if someone’s got the garlic bread. Any volunteers? :-p
- 2 small crowns broccoli, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 pounds chicken breasts (I used 2 breasts)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup reduced fat milk
- 1 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook broccoli in boiling water for about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Cook pasta al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and butter to medium heat. Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken and saute for about 5 minutes on each side, or until fully cooked. Remove from pan and set aside. Allow chicken to rest for about 5 minutes. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Add more butter and/or olive oil to pan as needed Add garlic and saute while scraping bits, for about 30 seconds, or until the garlic is fragrant. Add broccoli and mix with garlic. Remove and set aside.
- Add heavy cream to the pan and heat until boiling. Add cheese and stir occasionally until melted. Reduce heat to medium low. Add milk slowly, stirring often.
- Add pasta, broccoli and chicken to pan. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
Adapted from Julia's Album