I was at the grocery store a few days ago stocking up for this week’s recipes. I felt like a crazy woman buying 10 limes. 10 limes?? What kind of recipe calls for that many limes? I got 10 just. in. case. I would need them all.
And I used almost all of them for this shrimp ceviche!
I thought this shrimp ceviche would be a perfect recipe to make because
1) I always have frozen shrimp in the freezer
2) I knew this would be a great appetizer to dinner
3) and I didn’t want to get hangry when I had company over
4) I always have the staples- onion, cilantro, jalapeno, tomatoes.
So why not shrimp ceviche?
I’ve had different versions of ceviche and I love them all! It’s really easy to make. I like to cut up the shrimp into smaller pieces before adding to the lime juice, where the shrimp “cooks”. The shrimp will hang out in the lime juice for at least 30 minutes, where the shrimp will start to turn color once it’s been “cooked” in the citrus. After that you’ll just add the remaining ingredients.
Taste and add salt and pepper and voila! Grab those chips and eat up!
This shrimp ceviche is a little on the tangy side because of all of the lime juice and I prefer it that way!
Think I’ll have to add this to my potluck list because it’s great for a crowd!
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed
- Juice of 8 limes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 large tomato, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 red onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, diced
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Cut each shrimp in half, for smaller bite site portions. In a large bowl, combine shrimp, lime juice and lemon juice. Cover and place in fridge for at least 30 minutes. During this time the citrus from the juice will "cook" the shrimp while it marinates in the fridge. After about 30 minutes, the shrimp should turn pink and will be "cooked" and ready to be eaten.
- Meanwhile in a separate bowl, combine tomato, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, salt and pepper. Add shrimp and lime/lemon mixture and stir to combine all ingredients.Taste and adjust salt and pepper if desired.
- Right before serving, add diced avocado.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
- Store cold in fridge.