Happy Wednesday! Today is like my Friday so I’m going to say Happy Friday (to myself haha!) I will be taking the next couple of days off to spend some nice R&R with the bff. We met at work about 7 years ago but she’s still finishing up her graduate degree so I see her just a few times a year. I can’t believe she’s almost a doctor!! So crazy!
What I am looking forward to about the next couple of days is relaxing, talking, quality time, window shopping (or real shopping), napping, painting nails, doing all of those fun things that are so fun in the company of good friends. That’s one of the benefits of having great friends is just enjoying their company even though nothing is really going on!
When thinking about meal planning I obviously want to find recipes that are easy to plan and make a lot of servings, especially when I have company. These pork carnitas are right up my alley because, tacos.
Tacos are something I eat soooo often and I don’t think I ever really get sick of them. The tender pork in these pork carnitas tacos marinate and become really tender in the slow cooker, mixing with the lime and orange juices and all of the yummy seasoning. Add the finishing touch by lightly frying the pork carnitas in some olive oil for a crisp taste.
I like to top off my tacos with cilantro, onion, and fresh lime juice.
What are your favorite ways to eat pork carnitas? I’d love to read your comment below!
- 3.5 pounds pork shoulder, cubed into 2-3 inch chunks
- Juice of 1 lime (don't discard skin)
- Juice of 1 orange (don't discard skin)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons chipotle sauce or 1 tablespoon chipotle chili
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- For serving:
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Diced onion
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Fresh lime
- Lightly spray slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Add pork shoulder, lime juice and skin, orange juice and skin, garlic, onion, chicken stock, bay leaves, and remaining 5 ingredients to slow cooker and combine.
- Cook on low 8 hours or high 3-4 hours, until pork becomes tender.
- Remove pork from slow cooker and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet to medium high heat.
- Add pork and fry, tossing occasionally until pork reaches desired crispiness.
- Serve on a tortilla with desired toppings.