Usually when my parents go out of town I hit the jackpot because they give me everything in their fridge that they don’t think they’ll eat before their trip. Along with a few things in the fridge that I was going to put to good use, I also found a few things in their pantry that I wanted so I convinced them the food was “going to go bad” muahahaha. Nothing wrong with that right? ;-p
One of the superstars of their food donation to me was delicious smoked salmon. It’s something I never think to buy, but every time I do I’m always wondering to myself why I don’t buy it more often.
Nothing goes with smoked salmon like CREAM CHEESE. The last couple of times I went to brunch, I ordered smoked salmon and cream cheese on a bagel. Better known as Bagel and Lox. Or Lox and Cream Cheese Bagel. Or something of those terms. Either way, I’m all about it. I just can’t get enough. I’m totally sensing a theme here and it’s the salmon and the cream cheese.
I find that when I buy bagels they go to waste so I wanted to come up with a way to eat them as a lighter dish. Smoked salmon on a cucumber! They’re the cutest little things and you really won’t miss the bread. And all the carbs. And it makes way more room in your tummy for more salmon and cream cheese!
- 1 large cucumber, sliced into thin strips lengthwise
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 package smoked salmon
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- Spread about 1 tablespoon cream cheese onto each cucumber strip. Top with thin slices of salmon and a few thinly sliced onions, followed by fresh dill. Top with capers if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Adapted from Pancake Warriors