It’s been quite a while since I’ve posted a pasta recipe on here. Sometimes I’m in the mood for a pasta with a cream sauce such as this Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo or even a lighter pasta such as this Shrimp, Spinach, and Tomato Fettuccine with Garlic Butter Sauce but today I wanted to talk about this Fried Tortellini! This recipe resembles a Fried Ravioli dish, but with these cute little adorable cheese-stuffed tortellini and then finally dipped into a marinara sauce.
Aren’t they so cute?
This recipe is quite easy. The 3-cheese tortellini is found in the refrigerated pasta section at your local grocery store. I always pass the pasta but I never really was in the mood to eat it. But we know fried things can sometimes taste better right?
Funny story about when I was making this pasta….
This girl, right here, Tabitha, decided to skip step 1- cooking the tortellini! I have nooo idea how that happened, BUT I coated with the flour, egg, and panko and then fried them. I tasted them and realized- “ummm, I don’t think I like this”… my boyfriend was over and commented that they tasted uncooked. “Did you cook them first?” Well, ladies and gentleman that was the magic question…somehow I managed to forget that step. I guess I was so excited that I would be eating a cheese filled pasta, dipped into a cheese mixture.
I hope you learned something from me, cook the pasta first! I’m such a silly girl.
Anyway, back to the recipe… Go ahead and get a small pot of water ready and heat to boiling. Once boiling, add your tortellini pasta. Check on the tortellini and cook al dente according to the instructions. Remove the pasta and place onto a plate to cool.
Meanwhile, you will get your bowls ready- flour, eggs, and a panko/parmesan cheese mixture. Once the pasta has cooled off, you will go ahead and bread them- dunk them into the flour, followed by egg, and lastly into the panko bread crumb mixture. You could totally add extra parmesan cheese if you wish!
Now would be a good time to go ahead and heat some vegetable oil in a small pot to medium heat. I let my oil heat up while I’m breading the pasta. Once your tortellini is coated, you will go ahead and fry in the oil for just a few minutes, until golden brown. Allow the pasta to cool on a paper towel lined plate.
From start to finish this recipe can really be made in just 20 minutes. It makes a great appetizer and it’s also great so share because it’s an easy finger food.
Enjoy and Happy Eating!
- 1 9-ounce package 3-cheese tortellini pasta (refrigerated section)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup marinara (for dipping)
- Heat water in a small pot to boiling and cook tortellini until al dente. Set pasta aside onto a plate to cool.
- Prepare the three bowls- one with flour, one with eggs, and one with the panko and parmesan cheese.
- Heat vegetable oil in a small pot to medium heat.
- Line a plate with a paper towel.
- Dip tortellini into the flour, then eggs, and lastly into the panko mixture. Place into oil and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. Place onto paper towel lined plate to cool.
- Serve warm with marinara.